10. Which disorder could cause visible physical changes?
READING PASSAGE 1
QUESTIONS 1 - 5: Look at the statements (Questions 1 – 5) and the list of disorders (A – G) below. Match each statement with the correct disorder A – G. Write the correct letter A – G next to questions 1 – 5 below.
Types of Disorders
A Stress B Autistic Spectrum Disorder C Attention Deficit Disorder D Schizophrenia E Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder F Depression G Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
1. can be positive in small doses but is generally associated with pressure Please select your answer A B C D E F G
2. feeling that there is danger constantly present Please select your answer A B C D E F G
3. has experiences that may or may not be part of the ‘real’ world Please select your answer A B C D E F G
4. active to the point of losing concentration and becoming disruptive Please select your answer A B C D E F G
5. good at art but not at communicating Please select your answer A B C D E F G
QUESTIONS 6 - 9: Complete the table below. Write from the passage for each answer. NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS
D i s o r d e r P e r s o n a lit y Tra it Exhibited by Sufferer Autism Spectrum Disorder My excel in activities of a 6 __________ nature. Att e nti on D efi cit Di s or d er S c hi z ophr e nia May r espond to e x p eri e n ci ng e pi s od es of t he di s ea se by b e h a vi ng in v ery 8 __________ . D e pr e ssi on May e x p eri e n ce f eeli ngs of f utility t hat l ead to t houghts of 9 __________ . O b s e ssi ve C o m pul si ve Di s or d er May fr e qu e ntly e x p eri e n ce f eeli ngs of doubt and a n xi et y.
QUESTIONS 10 - 13: Choose the correct letter, A, B, C or D.
11. Episodes of which disorder may last for a limited period of time?
12. W’hich disorder can be triggered by the death of a loved one?
13. What characterises sufferers of OCD?
QUESTIONS 19 - 22: Do the following statements agree with the information given in Reading Passage 2? In spaces 19-22 below, write:
YES if the statement agrees with the claims of the writer. NO if the statement contradicts the claims of the writer. NOT GIVEN if it is impossible to say what the writer thinks about this.
19. Agriculture still plays a role in the economy of developing countries. Please select your answer YES NO NOT GIVEN
20. The population of the developing world increases at such a fast rate because they constantly need to renew the labour force. Please select your answer YES NO NOT GIVEN
21. Countries that spend more on imports than they cam from exports can experience problems. Please select your answer YES NO NOT GIVEN
22. Like the developing world, oil-rich countries are also victims of dominance by Western powers. Please select your answer YES NO NOT GIVEN
23. Countries in the developing world Please select your answer A B C D E F
24. The term ‘the third world’ implies Please select your answer A B C D E F
25. One factor that is prevalent in the developing world is Please select your answer A B C D E F
26. One consequence of the terms of trade was Please select your answer A B C D E F
R E AD I N G P A SS AG E 3
You should spend about 20 minutes on Questions 27 – 40, which are based on Reading.
QUESTIONS 27 - 31: Reading Passage 3 has eight paragraphs, A – H. Which paragraph contains the following information? Write the correct letter A – H in spaces 27 – 31 below .
27. Possible health hazards associated with the use of biometrics. Please select your answer A B C D E F G H
28. Convicted criminals were not the first to be identified by the use of biometrics. Please select your answer A B C D E F G H
29. The application of mathematics in assessing biometric data. Please select your answer A B C D E F G H
30. Despite its limitations, biometries has become a commercial field of activity. Please select your answer A B C D E F G H
31. Some biometric methods are useful only in conjunction with others. Please select your answer A B C D E F G H
QUESTIONS 32 - 3 Complete the sentences below. 4: Choose from the passage for each answer. NO MORE THAN TWO WORDS
Members of the public are becoming increasingly worried about the 32 __________ that may accompany the use of biometrics. Biometries can be used to improve the 33 __________ of drivers and passengers. Regardless of the technology used, it has one common purpose: to find somebody’s 34 __________ and store it on computer.
QUESTIONS 35-40: Compute the summary with the list of words A – L below. Write the correct letter A – L in spaces 35 – 40 below.
B I O M E T R I C S As long ago as the 14th century, the Chinese made use of biometrics in order to tell young children apart, but it was only in the 1890s when it was first used by the authorities as a means of 35 __________ in criminal cases. The system developed by the Frenchman Bertillon – that of measuring adult bones – was flawed, however, and so police adopted 36 __________ as a more reliable way of identifying suspects. Governments, companies and even schools employ biometric technology to ensure, for example, that people do not enter a country illegally, gain access to certain buildings, or assume someone else’s 37 __________ . Apart from security, another important 38 __________ behind biometric verification has been 39 __________. The use of biometrics, however, has its critics, who say that the data collected could be used for different purposes without our 40 __________ .
A identification B security C convenience D scanning E fingerprinting F identity G identity H measuring I justification J approval K factor L apprehension