READING PASSAGE 1
You should spend about 20 minutes on Questions 1-13
, which are based
on Reading Passage 1 below.Question 1 - 4
Answer the questions below.
Choose NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS
from the passage for each answer.
Write your answers in boxes 1-4
on your answer sheet.
What kind of climate do most chameleons live in?
Which animal caught a chameleon that Dr. Andrew Marshall saw?
What was the new species named after?
Which part of the body is unique to the species Kinyongla magomberae?
Do the following statements agree with the information given in Reading Passage 1
In boxes 5-13 on your answer sheet, write
| if the statement is true|
| if the statement is false|
| if the information is not given in the pass…|
5. Few creatures can change colour as effectively as cuttlefish.
6. Chameleons can imitate a pattern provided there are only two
7. Chameleons appear to enjoy trying out new colours.
8. Size matters more than colour when male chameleons
9. After a fight, the defeated male hides among branches of a tree.
10. Females use colour and movement to discourage males.
11. The popular explanation of why chameleons change colour
has been proved wrong.
12. There are more predators of chameleons in grassland habitats
than In others.
13. Measuring animals’ visual systems necessitates removing
them from their habitat.
READING PASSAGE 2
You should spend about 20 minutes on Questions 14-26
, which are based on Reading
Passage 2 below.
Reading Passage 2 has six paragraphs A-F. Which paragraph mentions the
Write the correct letter A-F in boxes 14-19 on your answer sheet.
NB You may use any letter more than once.
14. the need for individuals to understand what really matters to
15. tension resulting from a wide variety of alternatives
16. the hope of success as a means of overcoming unhappy feelings
17. people who call themselves specialists
18. human being’s capacity for coping with change
19. doing things which are interesting in themselves
Choose TWO letters A-E. Write the correct letters in boxes 20-21 on your answer
Which TWO of the following people argue against aiming for constant happiness?
Choose TWO letters A-E. Write the correct letters in boxes 22-23 on your answer
Which TWO of the following beliefs are identified as mistaken in the text?
Complete the sentences below. Choose NO MORE THAN ONE WORD from the
passage for each answer.
Write your answers in boxes 24-26 on your answer sheet.
In order to have a complete understanding of how people's minds work, Martin Seligman suggested that research should examine our most positive 24 as closely as it does our psychological problems.
Soon after arriving at a 25 in their lives, people become accustomed to what they have achieved and have a sense that they are lacking something.
People who are 26 by nature are more likely to succeed if they make thorough preparation for a presentation.
READING PASSAGE 3
You should spend about 20 minutes on Questions 27-40, which are based on Reading
Passage 3 below.
Write the correct letter. A. B. C or D, in boxes 27-30 on your answer sheet.
27. In the first paragraph, the writer finds it surprising that ...
28. The writer argues that saying 71 % of the earth’s surface is ocean is not accurate
because it …
29. How did the diving bell help divers?
30. What point does the writer make about scientific discoveries between 1930 and
Do the following statements agree with the views of the writer in Reading Passage
In boxes 31-36 on your answer sheet, write
| if the statement agrees with the views of…|
| if the statement contradicts the views of …|
| if it is impossible to say what the writer th…|
31. The Midocean Ridge is largely the same as when the
32. We can make an approximate calculation of the percentage of
the ocean which sunlight penetrates.
33. Many unexpected scientific phenomena came to light when
exploration of the Midocean Ridge began.
34. The number of people exploring the abyss has risen sharply in
the 21st century.
35. One danger of the darkness is that deep sea vehicles become
entangled in vegetation.
36. The construction of submersibles offers little protection from
the cold at great depths.
Complete the summary using the list of words A-I below.
A diving craft has to be 37.......... enough to cope with the enormous
pressure of the abyss, which is capable of crushing almost anything. Unlike
creatures that live there, which are not 38.......... because they contain
compressed water, a submersible is filled with 39.......... If it has a weak
spot in its construction, there will be a 40.......... explosion of water into